Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How I Met Your Mother 2.16: Stuff

"I'm stupid, but I've got a bigger rack than you!"

Okay, so I thought the main plot of the episode - Ted and Robin fight over the fact that so much of their stuff (his random knicknacks literally all over the apartment, her dogs) were given to them by exes and they haven't gotten rid of it - was a bit on the dull side. While I thought the visualization of each person's respective stuff as the exes was pretty funny, I don't know... I just think that Ted and Robin together are kinda boring.

Oh, man! Did I just say that? Why, yes I did.

I mean, I love that they're together, mostly because I'm happy for Ted. I see some of myself in Ted (I mean, I know I tend to overidentify with characters a lot, and Ted is one of them)... not completely, but I guess I see a lot of the friendship between me and my best friend in the friendship between Ted and Marshall. So I identify. But, Ted and Robin are just... kinda dull when they're in love and together. It's the same argument that Alanis Morissette's music just isn't as good when she's happy in a relationship as when she's angry and sad. Both are good, just one's better on a purely entertainment level.

This episode spelled some interesting things for them, though, in my opinion. Firstly, I was convinced last season that Barney had the hots for Robin and that they'd end up together when the show ended. This episode had a slight reference - Barney saying out of the blue: "Yeah, you two should break up already" - that makes me think I might be right. Plus, the episode end revelation that Ted and Robin are going to break up makes me think that this might be the beginning of the end for them.

The subplot, however: Pure Fucking Genius! Lily gets asked by a friend to be in a grungy frige play in a tiny cramped room several stories up, where the stage manager is also the lighting designer and sound effects guy, and where the three/four actors stand in black, pretending to be vices that are destroying our society. Plus, it's three hours long. It totally was a stereotype of bad theater, yet also very accurate, which is very hard to pull off. It reminded me of some of Karen Finlay's performance pieces we had to watch at UCLA in our Theater history classes, so I had lots of fun with it. But I wonder if it was as funny for people who aren't into theater? Probably, since it was such a stereotype.

Barney gets revenge by putting up his own play, where he stands up for forty-five minutes reciting Lily's least favorite word "moist." I found that hilarious, because she unintentionally twitches every time the word is uttered, most like I cringe every time I hear the word "c-a-c-a" (I can't even spell the damn word) or the phrase "Let's have a quick bite." Ick! He then sprays her with a water gun, then portrays a massive love story between a robot (him) and a toaster oven (played by a toaster oven).

Oh! And Marshall gave Barney Slap #2! Three more to go! Love the continuity fairies.

I think this show has definitely fallen to the wayside for me because it's not as "loud," if you will, as some other shows, but it's definitely a great show, and a very realistic one, obviously since Craig and Carter have based this mostly on their lives. I am excited to see where the show goes.

All in all: B+

Well, until next time... same bat time, same bat channel.

- Cesar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, it is kind of a shame that the show is falling to the wayside for you. Personally, I think the show is still in top form and I eagerly anticipate it each and every week. A very full TV schedule naturally will bump some things down the ladder though.

I feel ya on the idea that Ted/Robin as happy together is a bit dull, but ultimately, the wait for the split is kind of the meat of the point, I think. We know they don't end up together (which is where the gimmick of the show existed in 2030 really works wonders), so we're left to see the highs (now) and the lows (later), knowing that both are coming. Makes for some interesting stuff.

I thought of you during Lily's play. And with the "moist" stuff. Every time Barney said "moist," I thought to myself..."caca!" And I laughed. Out loud. Hard. So cheers for that extra in-joke worthy humor to this epi. Heh. Oh, and I hope you made an audible noise upon reading my typed out "caca" above. There too. I'm laughing again just thinking about it. :-)

That they ended the brilliance of Barney's play with the returning slap joke was absolutely legen-wait for it 'cause the next word is-dary.

Incidentally, you might consider instituting some kind of grading of sorts into your reviews. Maybe a letter grade, starrage, score between 1-10...something. It sticks with our old game of being forced to quantify things but should make it easier to do our future compare and contrasts in the future. Naturally, the idea opens up tons of questions of how to relate scores between different shows, but for episodes of the same show, could lead to some interesting comparisons. Just a thought. It would suck after awhile to try to think "was W really better than X and Y but worse than Z?" but still.

Anonymous said...

yeah the show is still on the top and i think rocking the world.i watch how i met your mother most of the time and i think its the most dominating comedy show.